Monday, September 22, 2014

Viva México!

Days in México: 225

This week was the celebration of the Independence of Mexico. Monday night all the exchange students in the city were invited to a 'Grito' by the Boca del Rio council. The Grito is the main event of the celebration.

The exchange students waiting before the grito

For the grito, everyone formed a group and replied 'VIVA!' after every line the president said. It went like this:
President: 'Viva México!'
Everyone else: 'VIVA!'
President: 'Viva Veracruz!'
Everyone else: 'VIVA!'
President: 'Viva Boca del Río!'
Everyone else: 'VIVA!'
It went on for about 2 minutes before it ended in everyone cheering. I participated in the grito from the balcony with the president. After the grito we got photos taken with the president before his interviews.

The exchange students were standing on the right on the balcony, just out of the photo

The view of the crowd from the balcony
Photos with the president of Boca del Río

After more photos, we had a light dinner and talked until the early hours of the morning.

More photos

After the Bienvenido in Caurnavaca, I have been trying to find space on my blazer for all the new pins that I have! It is incredibly full and I am a bit scared to wear it because I know that there is a possibility that some of the pins will fall off. It is also really hot to wear, especially in the Mexico weather. For Mexican Independence Day I bought a little mariachi who is now on the back on my blazer.

The front of my blazer

The back of my blazer

Tuesday was the Independence Day holiday so I slept in after staying out late the night before and then went to the plaza with the other exchangers and said a final goodbye to Kevin, an short-term exchange student from Taiwan. It's fun and relaxing hanging out with the other exchange students. They are definitely some of the best people in the world!

Wednesday night at the Rotary meeting was a 'Muy Mexicana' (very Mexican) themed night. I went with my family and we dressed in the colours of the Mexican flag; green, white and red. There was traditional music and dancing as well as games and some food.



Me, my sister Jazmín and my brother Roberto in the colours of the Mexican flag

Yesterday I went with my family to a thermal sulfuric spring near Xalapa which is a pool that is naturally heated. The water in the main pool was more than 30 degrees Celsius and is located right next to a river. There are a couple of smaller pools as well that aren't as hot but that have water slides. We spent most of the day there relaxing and having fun.

The thermal pool 
After, we went to a great Mexican restaurant which I have been to before with my past host family for Father's Day. The restaurant has the best tortias that I have ever tasted! They are made and cooked just before they are served. I filmed part of the tortia cooking process and it is on my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/aussieinmexico

Hot and fresh tortias



No comments:

Post a Comment